Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dinner at Rasika - Was it Worth the Wait?

Tawa Bangan - appetizer of
eggplant, potato and peanut sauce
Whenever a restaurant like Rasika makes it to Washingtonian's Top 100 list, it becomes next to impossible to get a reservation. And with so many choices, it's hard to imagine how an Indian restaurant could be so good that it would be worth the two to three month wait it takes to get a dinner reservation there. So despite how much my husband and I love Indian food, it's taken me years to add my name to the long wait list. Even making the reservation over two months out, we still only had the option of 6 or 9pm (Guess which one I chose? Hint: We still got home in plenty of time to watch another episode of "Homeland" before bed, essentially making it the perfect date night).

Entering the warm and dark restaurant, you would never guess it was barely 6 on a weekend. The place was bustling and the bar was full of hipsters and theater go-ers (it's right next to the Woolly Mammoth Theater in Penn Quarter). From the moment I had a look at the expansive menu, I knew we were in for something special and Chef Vikram Sunderam did not disappoint. Each dish was so carefully plated, the flavors blending and complementing each other in such balanced harmony, you felt as if you could see into his soul. Okay, I know that might sound a little cheesy, but I dare you to try a bite of the Palak Chaat (crispy spinach with tamarind, yogurt, and date chutney) without moaning in delight and awe that another human being could have come up with such a combination of flavors.

There were so many things we wanted to order, but we stuck mainly with the items suggested by the local reviewers at Washington Post and Washingtonian. In addition to the Palak Chaat, we shared an order of Truffle Naan, a trio of Chutney (though the Tomato and Golden Raisin one was the best), the Black Cod with Honey and Star Anise, and the Pork Chop Vindaloo, which was so melt-in-your-mouth tender you didn't need a knife. My go-to order at Indian restaurants is always Chicken Tikka Masala and our waitress said the chef does an amazing version, so next time I won't be able to resist giving that a try.

Now, run, run, as fast as you can - make a reservation at Rasika and write and tell me all about it afterwards. Or better yet, invite me along. Now go!

1 comment:

  1. It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;)

    ReplyDelete