Tuesday, January 8, 2013

If I Were a Vegetarian...

For the sake of my marriage, I am not allowed to be a Vegetarian. A few years ago for Lent, I gave up meat (I'm not Catholic, but there's something competitive inside me that enjoys depriving myself of things I love for 40 days just to see if I can). After weeks of enduring my meatless meals, my husband was more than ready to hit Ray's the Steaks, our absolute favorite carnivore establishment, for a bone-in blackened ribeye. I, on the other hand, was pretty proud of my accomplishment and (verbally) considered whether it was a trend we should continue. My normally very easy-going husband went on an hour long rant that included phrases like "I didn't marry a Vegetarian...don't want to eat separate meals...this is ridiculous...where's my steak?" So because I love him (and truly, I love meat too), we are not Vegetarians.

But he is out of town tonight on business, and since I'm still riding the high of a week-long cleanse, tonight I am a Vegetarian. And if I were a Vegetarian, I would make this Roasted Butternut Squash couscous at least once a week with plenty for leftovers. I might even let him have a taste.

Couscous with Roasted Butternut Squash, Mint, and Pine Nuts
1 whole butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
3 cups israeli (pearl) couscous
4 cups (32 oz.) vegetable broth
1 small shallot, diced
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
4 oz. goat cheese
olive oil
salt/pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash with a good drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in pan for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until soft and slightly caramelized. Set aside.
2. In heavy pan over medium heat, saute pine nuts until toasted in 1 tbsp. olive oil. Set aside in small bowl.
3. In same pan, saute shallot in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft.
4. Add dry couscous and stir frequently for 5 minutes until couscous is lightly toasted. Add broth, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Bring to boil and then lower to simmer covered for 10-12 minutes or until all broth has been absorbed.
5. Remove pot from heat. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Add butternut squash, most of the chopped mint, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve in shallow bowls with crumbled goat cheese, a little mint, freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment