Monday, October 22, 2012

Food is Love

Okay, I know food is not supposed to be love. I'm sure it says way too much about my deep dark issues to admit that for me, there is no more personal way I can think of to show how much I care about my family and friends than by cooking them a favorite dish, dropping off extra baked goods, or planning an elaborate meal. This past weekend was my husband's birthday, and since no one is more deserving of a thoughtfully planned and lovingly made meal than he is, I cooked some of his favorites.

Birthday dinner of Cajun Ribeye, Apple
Rutabaga Soup, and Grilled Zucchini Salad
To start, I made a creamy Apple Rutabaga soup from Patrick O'Connell's cookbook "Refined American Cuisine". The soup is the color of "liquid Autumn" according to the famous chef from the Inn at Little Washington. We first tasted it on my 30th birthday when my dear husband took us to the Inn to celebrate and I've made it once a year since then. It takes some time because of all the chopping involved, but it's actually simple to make. The combination of flavors is complex and sweet, with a hint of cayenne at the finish. Just saute 1 cup each of onion, granny smith apple, rutabaga, sweet potato, butternut squash, and carrots in a stick of butter. Then add a quart of good chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Strain this delicious mixture through a fine mesh sieve, add 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 1 cup (he calls for 2) of heavy cream plus salt and a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste.

Next was the main course - a grass-fed Cajun Ribeye steak, his favorite cut of meat. The first time we had a Cajun Ribeye was at Ray's the Steaks in Arlington, and though my version is no Ray's, it's pretty darn close. I'm a filet girl myself. I just prefer the soft texture and not having to fight with any fat. But I do understand that there's something primal and manly about eating a Ribeye once in awhile. Add some Cajun seasoning and plenty of salt, and you'll have hair on your chest in no time.

To balance out all this rich and filling food, I grilled some zucchini and served it with a salad of arugula, heirloom cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese dressed simply in a little lemon and olive oil. It's one of his favorite combinations and always reminds us of summer.

Banana chocolate chip cake
with peanut butter frosting
Deciding on what to make for dessert was more difficult. If you ask him what he wants for dessert, you'll get a list a mile long. Tarte tatin, flourless chocolate cake, mille feuille, tres leches cake, anything chocolate, anything banana...the man does not discriminate against dessert. So this time I decided to combine a variety of his loves and make a banana chocolate chip cake with peanut butter frosting from the most recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine - Fall Comfort Foods. The cake was dense, moist, and not overly sweet. And the frosting. Oh, the frosting. What's not to love about peanut butter whipped with butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla? Nothing, I tell you. Nothing at all.

The meal was delicious, but the best part of all was watching my darling husband's eyes light up with that first spoon of soup, that first bite of steak, that first taste of cake. It may not be healthy to think of food as love all the time, but I think it's okay to indulge every once in awhile. Especially if it's in the form of peanut butter frosting.



No comments:

Post a Comment